September 12, 2016
One of our Values is Servant Leadership - The idea that we all understand we lead/influnce others, but we do so in a way that serves first. Serving at its root is looking out for the others best! The funny thing about servant leadership is that when everyone serves we all benefit.
Leadership defined is simply influencing others. We all lead on some level. However or a church to fuction healthy leadership is key. It has been said that everything rises on falls on leadership, so having healthy leadershipis essential to our church.
Romans 12.8 lists leadership as a gift and is sandwiched between the gifts of giving and mercy.
We tend to think negatively about leadership, because we have seen its abuse. Yet when ledership is led by servanthood, then it is both powerful and useful to the church. Every church needs leaders in order to move forward and when the leaders are committed to following Christ it works!
Would you pray today for our church leaders?
We are giving our Bible Study leaders a sabbatical. For several weeks (9/25-10/30) we will all have Sunday morning Bible study together. If we can fit we will be in the Discovery Class and using Fully Devoted - living each day in Jesus' name for our curriculum. We have 40 copies available, however if you want a kindle version you can get one pretty cheap. We will teach all the 'g' lessons, it will make sense when you see the book.
Here is a take on leadership in the local church; it is a little different, but worth the read.
Here is the weed article. It works if you are into a green, weed free lawn.
Have a great week, be a servant leader!
September 2, 2016
2. New members - I love it when new people come in and join our church; visitors are great, but new family members are very special.
3. Mission - I can give my life to our mission - to learn together and invite others to become committed followers of Jesus Christ. Sort of sounds Biblical!
4. Growing Diversity - The average age in our community is 38.9, the fastest growing segment is younger hispanics. This is such a great opportunity. I can’t wait until our church looks exactly like our community and I bet God can’t either.
5. Ice machine - a little selfish I know, but I drink H20 all day and having ice is awesome!
6. Choir - If there are 5 or 15 members in choir they sing so well and sound great. I know in some churches choirs are out of style, but I always worship better when the choir is leading out and engaging God.
7. Staff - some are paid, some are volunteer, all are quality servant leaders who view their position as a place to help others connect with God. They are priceless!
8. Values - Servant Leadership, Prayerful Dependence on God, Missionary Mindset, Personal Spiritual Development, Encouraging Relationships, Participating in Worship - these are the building blocks of a healthy church.
9. Encouragement - A note, kind word, prayer or hug...these things happen every day when one is connected to WHBC. I can’t remember when I have been at church and was not somehow encouraged by another.
10. Multiple Generations - Generations don’t always see eye to eye, but we all need each other. We can all learn from each other! Older can benefit from the energy of the younger, younger need the wisdom of the older. Couples that been married a long, long time, need to see young love and young love needs the gentleness of old love. Kids who are opening their hearts to Jesus help us remember when and individuals who are working long hours and serving move us to serve.